Business Restructuring & Reorganization Practice
Jones Day’s lawyers collaborate to resolve complex restructuring issues and problems in jurisdictions throughout the world. Debtors, creditors, and other parties involved in business restructurings, out-of-court workouts, chapter 11 cases, and other transactions with financially distressed entities receive a full range of services from more than 100 restructuring lawyers in financial centers worldwide.
We represent debtors, creditors, trustees, and insolvency practitioners in complex multijurisdictional restructurings, out-of-court workouts, chapter 11 and chapter 9 cases, administrations and schemes of arrangement, as well as distressed investors and acquirors of financially troubled enterprises.
Global, Multijurisdictional Team
Clients are provided:
- A full range of restructuring capabilities, including dedicated distress-related resources from other Firm practices, such as litigation, tax, finance, benefits, and M&A.
- Experience addressing diverse issues and dealing effectively with stakeholders in corporate and municipal restructurings.
- Understanding of the business, financial, and legal issues facing distressed businesses, distressed and nondistressed investors, and other parties dealing with troubled debtors.
- Extensive experience on all sides of restructuring matters, enabling our lawyers to see the entire picture and offer valuable perspectives.
- Global knowledge about restructurings in all major money centers, including Europe, Australia, and Asia.
- Restructuring experience spanning all major industries.
Recent International Representations
- Advised the ad hoc group of senior notes on the US$1.1 billion cross border restructuring of Syncreon Group Holdings B.V using a UK scheme of arrangement.
- Represented a private equity sponsor on the €1 billion multi-jurisdictional financial restructuring of Luxembourg-incorporated industrial group Galapagos.
- Jasper Berkenbosch has been appointed as trustee over Intertoys, a retail chain with approximately 350 toy stores in Netherlands, Germany, and Belgium, and 3500 employees. This is one of the largest retail insolvencies in Europe.
- Advising leading Singaporean Bank on various loans in to the London real estate sector, including £200m loan secured against Canary Wharf asset.
- Advise a NY-based credit fund as largest creditor and finance provider in the Spanish insolvency proceedings of the Petersen companies, the claimants in a USD6bn litigation pending before a NY court against the Republic of Argentina and YPF.
- Represented PAG Asia Capital Ltd. and PAG Asia II LP in connection with their investment in Key Safety Systems, a subsidiary of China- based Ningbo Joyson Electronic Corporation, to finance the acquisition of substantially all of the global assets of Takata Corporation out of bankruptcy in the United States and Japan.
- Advising on the restructuring of approximately US$110 million of outstanding bank debt of Plascar, a Brazilian public-traded company, through a debt for equity exchange.
- Representing an ad hoc group of creditors in connection with Intelsat’s chapter 11 cases (Bankr. E.D. Va.). Ad hoc group is holding an aggregate principal amount of approximately $7 billion of secured and unsecured prepetition indebtedness.
- Represent a large China-based financial institution in connection with litigation by a chapter 7 bankruptcy trustee related to certain financing transactions with a now-defunct private jet operator.
Law360 – Named bankruptcy “Practice Group of the Year” five times
Chambers USA – One Band 1 Practice Ranking for Bankruptcy/Restructuring in 2020; Ranked in California, New York, Ohio, Texas, and USA-Nationwide for the last decade.
Legal 500 United States – Ranked for Restructuring (including bankruptcy): Corporate (for over a decade) and Restructuring (including bankruptcy): Municipal (past eight years)
U.S. News– Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” – Seven Tier 1 Practice Rankings for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law in 2020; 2018 National Law Firm of the Year; Rankings in Atlanta, Chicago, Cleveland, Dallas, Los Angeles, and New York for the past ten years, and in Washington, D.C. for the past three years.
14th Annual M&A Advisor Awards – Restructuring Deal of the Year (over $1B): Chapter 9 Reorganization of the City of Detroit.
14th Annual M&A Advisor Turnaround Awards – Out-of-Court Restructuring of the Year ($100MM or more): AGC Networks
12th Annual M&A Advisor Turnaround Awards – Restructuring Deal of the Year (over $10B): Peabody Energy Corporation.
The Deal Awards Middle Market – Restructuring Deal of the Year: FTD Cos.
Individual lawyer honors include: New York Law Journal’s Lifetime Achievement Award; Law360 MVP for Bankruptcy; Crain’s New York Business Notable Women in Law; USA Co-Chair of the G36 committee of INSOL; Northeast Ohio’s Most Influential Women; American Bankruptcy Institute’s 40 Under 40; Rising Stars by Law360; Best Lawyers; National Law Journal; and Super Lawyers